20 N. Wacker Dr.
(Area) – Loop/Financial District
The Lyric Opera House has been a cornerstone of Chicago’s cultural landscape for generations. Opened as the Civic Opera House in 1929, the building was the vision of utility magnate Samuel Insull, a populist billionaire known as “the Prince of Electricity.” Insull, the president of the Chicago Civic Opera Association, wanted to erect a new opera house to replace Louis B. Sullivan’s Auditorium Building on South Michigan Avenue as the home of the Chicago Civic Opera. Today, the building is home to the Lyric Opera as well as the Joffrey Ballet. For the safety of patrons and performers alike, please review the COVID-19 link below for mandated health/safety protocols.