343 N. Michigan Ave.
(Area) – Mag Mile/Loop
Fort Dearborn was a United States Fort built in 1803 beside the Chicago River. It was constructed by troops under Captain John Whistler and named in honor of Henry Dearborn then U.S. Secretary of War. The original fort was destroyed during the War of 1812 and a second fort was reconstructed on the same site in 1816. The last vestiges of Fort Dearborn were destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. The site of the fort is now a Chicago Landmark.